A crowding of crucial ideas at Brunswick Mechanics Institute, Siteworks and Testing Grounds during Melbourne Fringe 2018.
Calling for Melbourne Fringe EOIs to join the Critical Mass.
Brunswick Mechanics Institute, Siteworks and Testing Grounds come together under one banner to program Critical Mass — a series of live performance, film, visual arts and multi-disciplinary events — for Melbourne Fringe 2018.
Selected artists will be part of a crowding of crucial ideas, amplifying a plethora of voices through curated programming.
Critical Mass is a space for an audacious community to gather and experience ambitious, experimental and critical art. There will be moments of respectful quiet, and times when we need to make noise.
Live art happening
All selected artists will be invited to participate in a critical mass live art happening to rally their crucial ideas and to celebrate freedom of expression, dissent and the power of collective action.
Along with Brunswick Mechanics Institute, Testing Grounds and Siteworks, a guest curator (to be announced) will provide a vital and important voice in the selection of works.
For more info on all offers. Head to the Critical Mass site.
Brunswick Mechanics Institute is best suited to live art, theatre and dance; you can invite audiences into the 112-seat black box theatre, 50 seater studio or turn the space on its head, push the seats back and host a live art party to top all parties. The spaces are flexible and modular, and can host a wide range of happenings. We see seasons of work working best in 5-day blocks, though are open to one off events, late-night variety nights and party ideas. The Critical Mass program at Mechanics will present a mix of existing Fringe-favourites, as well as brand-new work.
THE MECHANICS OFFER
What we will provide:
- A generous box office split – 70% going to the artist
- Free venue hire including full festival lighting rig, AV and sound
- Marketing support including an event page on the BMI website and inclusion in a venue-specific and Critical Mass marketing campaign
- Technical support including bump-in and bump-out support from the Mechanics Venue Technician
- We’ll run your box office and front of house
- Access to a professional theatre venue with dedicated staff
- No added public liability insurance required
- General producing and tour advice for interstate artists
All creative practitioners are expected to:
- Pay their rego fee
- Take a considered and thoughtful social media and marketing push
- Bring their own operator (we’ll provide technical support during bump-ins, but you’ll need to provide a competent operator to operate LX, SX and AV during your show
- Provide us with a clear technical survey and marketing collateral by outlined due dates
- Participate in a Critical Mass live art happening
The Theatre is a classic blackbox with a 112-seat retractable tiered seating bank. The space is fully equipped with a suite of lighting, sound and some AV equipment.
With seating bank: 9.2m (d) x 8.4m (w)
Without seating bank: 15.9m (d) x 8.4m (w)
Capacity: 110 –120 seated or 250 standing with seats retracted.
Equipment: A full suite of lighting, sound, AV equipment and rostra available.
Studio 1 is a large bright room with hardwood floors, white walls, high ceilings and four large windows. During Critical Mass, the space will shift and change depending on programming. The space can be blacked out using black wool curtains or where appropriate, remain a white-walled studio.
Capacity: 30-50 seated. Up to 80 standing.
Room Dimensions: 10m x 6.3m
Equipment: Theatre lighting via free-standing tri-truss, sound and AV equipment available.